Throughout the coronavirus pandemic we have responded to all the government consultations relevant to foster care to feedback to the Government what our members and the children they care for have experienced during the pandemic. We also took the opportunity to emphasise to officials the critical work foster carers and all those working around them have continued to do throughout the pandemic to keep the country’s most vulnerable children safe, acknowledging that foster carers have taken on many additional roles throughout the pandemic.
We have provided evidence to the following consultations.
About the impact of Covid-19 on children in foster care:
- The Health Committee for Northern Ireland asked us to submit a stakeholder briefing on covid-19 and children. We also gave oral evidence.
- The Education Select Committee in England's inquiry into the impact of COVID-19 on education and children’s services. We also gave oral evidence.
- The Education and Skills Committee in Scotland's inquiry into vulnerable children during the coronavirus outbreak.
- Our Future Wales' consultation into post-covid recovery and reconstruction in Wales, calling for children to be at the heart of recovery.
- The Children, Young People and Education committee in Wales' inquiry into the scrutiny of covid-19 and its impact on children and young people.
- The Education Select Committee in England's second inquiry into the impact of COVID-19 on education and children's services.
About proposals for regulatory changes to introduce flexibilities to ease pressures in the children's social care system due to Covid-19:
- The Department for Education in England's consultation of changes to the adoption and children regulations: coronavirus (COVID-19) in August 2020 and February 2021.
- The Welsh Government's consultation of the Adoption and Fostering (Wales) (Miscellaneous Amendments) (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020.
- Northern Ireland's consultation on the extension of operation of the children’s social care regulations.
To read more about our campaigning work throughout the coronavirus pandemic click here.