Cast your minds back five years to 2013- what a year!
Five things that happened:
The word ‘selfie’ earned its place in the Oxford English Dictionary
- Frozen yoghurt became the number one food trend across the world
- 11.6 million Brits visited Spain for a holiday
- Prince George was born 3rd in line to the throne
- But most importantly (well, we think so), it was the year that Foster Walk was born!
This year, we are celebrating five years of our fantastic Foster Walk fundraisers and we’d love even more for you to get involved in 2018 to raise money and awareness of the world of fostering across the UK.
Five things about Foster Walk:
- Foster Walks are 5km fundraising walks around towns, cities and rural areas around Great Britain. A picnic is held at the end with activities for children- come rain or shine!
- Everyone (pets included) is encouraged to dress up in orange, which is one of our charity’s brand colours. Seeing everyone dressed up so brightly adds a real sense of occasion and efforts range from shorts and stripy tights to tutus and ties!
- Since Foster Walk began, 1948 pairs of feet have walked a Foster Walk (and several babies have been carried!)
- Foster Walks have taken place in all four countries of the UK from Guernsey to Gloucestershire and from East Riding down to Essex.
- Over 125km of routes have been mapped out for Foster Walk- that’s 4000 times the length of a blue whale!
Five reasons why you should get involved with Foster Walk:
(There’s loads more but we’re going with a theme here…)
- To help us raise vital funds for The Fostering Network so that we can continue our support of UK foster families and the children in their care.
- Meet others involved in foster care from foster families to fostering services and local authorities.
- Because it’s a family fun day out where you can turn up and take part without having to organise anything- ideal!
- It’s a challenge that everyone can take part in- all routes are family friendly and suitable for push chairs and wheel chairs.
- Because you want to celebrate the world of foster care and be part of raising its profile
Five people who’ve been there, done it and actually bought the t-shirt!
- ‘We love to get involved with Foster Walk, it's a fun day that brings our foster carers, families, and staff together whilst raising awareness of fostering. It's great raising money to support The Fostering Network and we'd certainly recommend other fostering teams get involved. People love getting their certificates at the end!’ - Lyndsay Spencer, marketing officer (fostering and adoption), East Riding of Yorkshire
- ‘I have been running my event for a number of years after becoming a foster carer. It helps raise the profile of fostering too and I would recommend arranging a Foster Walk- good luck!’ - Deborah Jackson, Foster Walk and Ride organiser in Ashdown Forest
- ‘We had a fantastic day! We all enjoyed dressing up and the children enjoyed the activities. It’s a great chance to meet other foster carers and their families’ – Foster carer, Foster Walk Glasgow 2016
- ‘The Foster Walk was an exceptional day out! Great turn out and I cannot wait for many more years to come!’ – Corporate supporter, Foster Walk London 2017
- ‘It’s a doable challenge and rewarding the children with medals was perfect. Next time, I will bring lots more people along to fundraise for a great cause.’ – Foster Carer, Foster Walk London 2017
Five options you can sign up to:
- Foster Walk London (23 June 2018)
- Foster Walk Cardiff (Date TBC)
- Foster Walk Glasgow is entering teams in to Kilt Walks this year! Throughout spring and summer 2018
- Can’t make any of these? Organise your own Foster Walk in your local community and we can help you
- Actually, walking not your thing? No problem! We have a huge selection of other challenges that you can take part in to fundraise for The Fostering Network.
For details of all of all these events, head to our website where you can read more and book tickets- we look forward to welcoming you at a Foster Walk near you! (And if there isn’t one, you can make it happen with your very own Foster Walk pack J)