We believe that foster carers should be protected even after their fostering career has come to an end, which is why we offer retired foster carer membership for former foster carers.
Facing an allegation is unfortunately something that some foster carers will experience during their fostering career, and even when you stop fostering you are still at risk. Our retired foster carer membership has been designed to protect you if you experience an historical allegation when you stop fostering.
‘Four years after I stopped fostering, I found myself in a stressful situation as a result of the actions of a young person I’d previously fostered, and the legal helpline instantly gave me the reassurance and support I needed to get through the difficult time.’
- Retired foster carer
About retired foster carer membership
Our retired foster carer membership provides market-leading legal protection insurance that covers everyone in your household. This includes:
- a legal helpline for expert advice on allegations and help with any legal queries
- attendance by a qualified and experienced solicitor should you, or any of your household, have to attend a police interview under caution as a result of an allegation
- cover for up to £150,000 legal expenses if a criminal prosecution or civil proceeding is brought against you or any of your household as a result of an allegation
- cover for any allegations that you are made aware of during the period of your membership including historic allegations
- a completely confidential stress support service.
You are also covered by this legal protection insurance if you are a former foster carer looking after a young person up to the age of 25 under Staying Put or equivalent (Continuing Care, Going the Extra Mile and When I Am Ready) or if you provide supported lodgings.
Your membership will also help you to stay connected to fostering. You will receive our monthly enewsletter, have access to a digital copy of Foster Care magazine and be able to support our campaigns to make foster care better for children and young people and the families that care for them.
As an added benefit, our popular discounts on days out and holidays, as well as specialist mortgage and tax advice from our partners, will continue to be available to you.
For just £28 a year you can have peace of mind and stay connected to fostering.
Please note: To take out this membership you cannot be an approved foster carer and your retired foster carer membership must follow on directly from your previous foster carer membership with us. To access legal support and representation you must be in membership with The Fostering Network at the time you are made aware of the allegation.
Existing retired foster carer members
If you are already a retired foster carer member of The Fostering Network, you can access the legal helpline on 01384 885734. Please log in to download the legal protection policy.