Foster Care FortnightTM is The Fostering Network's annual campaign to raise awareness of the transformational power of fostering and to celebrate the fostering community.
Foster Care Fortnight 2020 will take place from 11-24 May.
We are aware that due to the changing situation surrounding coronavirus, there is also some uncertainty surrounding future events. However, Foster Care FortnightTM (11-24 May), our annual awareness raising campaign, will be held as planned. We are confident that with the participation of our members and supporters we can adapt the campaign to the current situation both safely and successfully. There will be a bigger emphasis on online activity this year, as well as on the use of video conferencing and social media.
The theme for this year's campaign is This Is Fostering which we hope will convey a varied and authentic picture of the contributions of the people involved in fostering and how foster care transforms the lives of children and young people across the country.
We want wider society to understand and value fostering and the positive difference it can make to young people’s lives. We hope this increased awareness will build support for fostering, challenge stigma surrounding children in foster care and encourage more people to consider fostering.
Ultimately we want to create the momentum for change, both inside and outside of the fostering community, that we know is needed to make foster care the very best it can be.
There are several ways to get involved in Foster Care Fortnight 2020. It might be simply wearing a sticker or sharing a link to our film or you might want to take a placard picture or organise a fundraising event, whatever you want to do we'll support you.
Here are five great ways you can support the campaign.
- Share a photo – we want to see #FCF20 everywhere! We have a full colour and printer friendly version placard you can download, but we would love you to be creative if you can – you could write the hashtag on your hand, stencil it onto a cake or sculpt it in plasticine! We love seeing your pictures shared online and featured in local news articles, so be inventive and think about how to make it relevant to your area! We will feature some of the images during FCF20 so submit your photos today.
- Use our Twibbon – you can do this online. Our Twibbon will transform your social media profile picture into something that raises awareness of fostering to your friends and followers while not detracting from your chosen image.
- Donate – We are ambitious for fostered children and young people. We believe in their potential and want them to have every opportunity to flourish. Every donation we receive helps us to create change, lead practice development, promote fostering and offer advice and support.
- Share our film – you’ll see our film on this page at the start of the campaign and we'll be sharing it on our social media channels. Please share it when you see it and encourage others to do the same.
- Get the message out – At the heart of this campaign is the need to raise awareness of fostering so we would love you to engage your friends, relatives and others by sharing your fostering experiences – after all who better to talk to than you, the experts, who live and work fostering every day!
Find out more about becoming a foster carer
Every year, tens of thousands of children across the UK need foster carers while they can't live with their own families. That means thousands of new foster carers are needed every year. Could you be one of them?
Make a donation to support Foster Care Fortnight
Your donation allows us to help raise awareness of fostering and the need for more foster carers. However you choose to support our work, thank you.