This course has been recently updated to provide a foundation for foster carers and social workers undertaking the care of asylum seeking children and young people. The training will be participative, using practical examples and exercises to help everyone relate the learning to themselves. During the day participants will separate fact from myth, understand the asylum process, explore children’s needs and identify practical tasks for foster carers.
This course is delivered by Mike Lewis who was previously Chief Executive Officer at the Welsh Refugee Council, Director of Policy at Children in Wales and is currently a lecturer in social policy and social work at Swansea University.
During the training participants will:
- learn about the asylum process in Wales
- explore why children and young people leave their home country
- understand the implications for asylum seeking children
- increase their sensitivities towards the emotional, physical and educational needs of asylum seeking children and young people
- develop their skills in meeting the needs of asylum seeking children and young people